Family Tree

Family Tree

About Me

My photo
Kathmandu, Bagmati Zone, Nepal
I am Basan Shrestha from Kathmandu, Nepal. I use the term 'BASAN' as 'Balancing Actions for Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources'. I am a Design, Monitoring & Evaluation professional. I hold 1) MSc in Regional and Rural Development Planning, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, 2002; 2) MSc in Statistics, Tribhuvan University (TU), Kathmandu, Nepal, 1995; and 3) MA in Sociology, TU, 1997. I have more than 10 years of professional experience in socio-economic research, monitoring and documentation on agricultural and natural resource management. I had worked in Lumle Agricultural Research Centre, western Nepal from Nov. 1997 to Dec. 2000; CARE Nepal, mid-western Nepal from Mar. 2003 to June 2006 and WTLCP in far-western Nepal from June 2006 to Jan. 2011, Training Institute for Technical Instruction (TITI) from July to Sep 2011, UN Women Nepal from Sep to Dec 2011 and Mercy Corps Nepal from 24 Jan 2012 to 14 August 2016 and CAMRIS International in Nepal commencing 1 February 2017. I have published articles to my credit.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Tick Mark and Resilience

Different symbols have different meanings although the meaning could be contextual and vary. Here, I want to discuss a tick mark symbol, which I guess most have been using since childhood. Tick mark is usually used to indicate that an answer is correct or an option of a response at which a tick mark is place is applicable to the person tick marking.
A tick mark gave me another meaning also. If I place a tick mark on a graph it gives me a meaning of resilience. The term resilience has been a buzz word in academia and development, community resilience, household resilience, resilience to climate change so and so forth. An entity is considered resilient if it bounces or has the capacity to bounce back after hitting by shock or stress. Once an entity is hit by a shock or stress the current level of capacity of an entity could come down from the left tip of a tick mark to the lowest point of it. But, as time elapses and the context improves, gradually the capacity of an entity could also increase from the lowest point of a tick mark to its highest point. It could increase further as there is no hard and fast limitation of the tip of a tick mark. The resilient capacity could vary from an entity to another. Some may bounce back quickly and others may take a long time. However, in the natural process, an entity could face a shock or stress and could come back to its previous level or better situation as a tick mark. Thus, I wish everyone to be like a tick mark.


No comments:

Post a Comment